- Jimmy Neutron
Methinks that the Boy Genius would detest “constructivist math” curricula like Everyday Mathematics, Connected Math and TERC. For that matter, so would Cindy Vortex!
Here is what I imagine James Isaac Neutron might have to say about Everyday Math:
- I don’t have time to waste discovering algorithms that were perfected ages ago. I think Euclid, Descartes, Pythagoras, and Pascal did a pretty good job.
- Thank goodness for long division. Polynomial long division (algebra), finding roots and asymptotes (pre-calculus), and integration of rational functions and Laplace transforms (calculus) wouldn’t be possible without it. Yep, gotta have long division!
- Sorry guys, there are no shortcuts to math mastery. You just gotta be computationally fluent in mathematics and be able to calculate quickly and accurately. Come on Sheen, I’ll help ‘ya with those times tables!
- Using a calculator is a cop out. My brain works faster and it never runs out of batteries! Carl, put that calculator away, you can multiply decimals without it.
- Partial products, partial quotients, lattices, and trading-first! Are you kidding me?
"Gotta blast!” –Jimmy Neutron